Monday, January 16, 2012

KFC Knock- off. AKA: most.delicious.meal.ever.

Yesterday, Ben got a gym membership. It's now 6 a.m. and I'm home alone with the baby while he is working out. Ben told me not to tell anyone about the gym, he doesn't want to make a big deal about his 2012 weight loss goals. So I'm not telling anyone. I'm just writing it.  

On Saturday night we made a "one-last-unhealthy-meal-before-diet-starts" type of dinner. A KFC mashed bowl, as featured here: http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls_potato.asp We just winged it, and used what we had on hand in the house. I've never had the original (I refuse to eat at KFC) but I imagine it tastes identical. 
I'd like to say that we made a "healthier version," but we didn't. It was amazing.

Here's how we did it:
1. We cut up 2 chicken breasts into "nugget" sized pieces, and breaded them with egg & seasoned bread crumbs. These cooked in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
2. We boiled about 8 small red potatoes, and turned these into mashed potatoes.
3. While both of these were cooking, we mixed together a gravy packet and threw it on the stovetop on low.
4. We poured a can of corn into a shallow skillet and turned that on to low.
5.  When everything was cooked, we started to layer our bowl in this order: Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Chicken Nuggets, Gravy, & than topped it off with a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Serve w/ biscuits, because I think KFC does that too. 







Viola! 


2 comments: