Sunday, September 29, 2013

Farmhouse Table

A few months back, Ben made us this fabulous new dining room table.  He loves wood working, and is always looking for his next project. We were in the market for a new table, and I wanted something family friendly, that would last forever. Ben had the solution, he'd make just what we wanted.

I showed him some inspiration photos that I loved online, and we settled on using plans found on Ana White's DIY site. We are also using her site for Mackenna's twin bed plans. See all her site here: Ana White

For a stain, we used a bleached white wash on top of a darker stain, with some sanding in between coats. It came out perfectly. Pottery Barn-ish, without the Pottery Barn price tag. Materials and stain came in at just under $200.00.

All framed up in the basement!
(I wasn't great at taking photos throughout the building process.)
Viola!
The table isn't small. It can seat 8-10. And up to 12 if you really wanted it to. Since we love entertaining, we wanted to maximize all the space we had in our dining room. It measures 96" long, and 40" wide. Ben also made 'aprons' for the end of of each side of the table, that we can add to fit additional end chairs.
Ben came up with the design of the bench, to match the table. 
And on the opposing side, I found these affordable set of chairs that are kid friendly. You can't stain metal with pasta sauce, no matter how hard you try.
I absolutely love how the stain/ white wash combination came out.
It fits the room perfectly. The final product is just what we were hoping for. Something sturdy, rustic- looking, and family friendly. Many memories, delicious meals, and "cheers" will be had at this table over the coming decades. 
Rug: Ballard Designs
Aluminum chairs: Overstock
Burlap Runner: Ebay

7 comments:

  1. Directed to your blog via Ana White's site ... Table looks great! Any tips on that finish? Did you use the kreg jig? Did you spend the extra money and buy better pine for the top (vs the cheap pine with lots of knots)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We used Minwax Jacobean, a darker cherry color stain, than sanded it pretty heavily to uncover the knots. We than went over it with a bleached white wash to lighten the color and give it a weathered look. It was Rustoleum Sunbleached. Yes, my husband used a kreg jig as well! We didn't spend the extra money for a nicer top, we used a Pine from Lowes. He bought select pine, 15/16. I tend to like the knots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! We desperately need a bigger table for our family of 10 but have been afraid to tackle this project. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind sharing the two paint colors on your walls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't mind at all, if I knew them both. The top 'coffee' color we actually made by blending a bunch of our existing paint shades together. Its similar to Behr Malted Milk. The off-white shade on the bottom is Behr Nude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bethany! Beautiful job! We just made this table ourselves, using the 'cheap pine' too, but the top has the ridges where the boards meet. While it's still lovely, I can't help but wonder how your husband got the boards so flush? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shell Bell- lots and lots of sanding!

    ReplyDelete