Friday, January 31, 2014

Dakota's Arrival

Welcome to the world and our family sweet little Dakota Helen! Here is the story of your arrival.
You were due on January 25th 2014, but arrived early on January 17th 2014. Although I had a healthy pregnancy throughout your stay inside of me, right after Christmas I developed a bad streak of luck between the stomach flu, and than a 3 week respiratory cold and sinus infection. It was a miserable few weeks, and I ended up bruising my ribs from all of the coughing and losing a bit of weight. At my 38 week routine prenatal appointment, the Doctor noticed that I had some scratch marks on my stomach. She asked, "Have you been really itchy?" I replied with.. Yes. But I didn't think much of it, because between not feeling well for weeks- I had spent a lot of time in the hot shower and bath. I figured I had dried my skin out over the weeks and the itching was to be expected. She let me know that she wanted to run a blood test, as there is a condition called Cholestasis that although rare, can cause extreme itching and is potentially harmful to the baby. She reassured me that there is nothing to worry about, its not common, and the test can take up to a week to come back. Ben and I thought not too much of the test or condition, and went home and carried on with our 38th week of pregnancy.

The following week, on Thursday afternoon, I got a call from the Doctor's office. The blood test results were in and I did in fact have Cholestasis. Cholestasis develops only during pregnancy, and according to the online definition: The term "cholestasis" refers to any condition in which the flow of bile, a digestive fluid from the liver, slows or stops.  Cholestasis of pregnancy occurs in late pregnancy and triggers intense itching, usually on the hands and feet but sometimes on other parts of the body. Cholestasis of pregnancy can be intensely uncomfortable but poses no long-term risk to the mother. Cholestasis of pregnancy can be dangerous for a developing baby, however. Early delivery is usually recommended.

So, with the results in, they wanted to induce me that day. I was 38 weeks 5 days, so it was early but at no risk to the baby as she was fully developed. I had a few hours to get ready and pack, and than Ben and Mackenna came home and we all went out to dinner that night at Gorham House of Pizza. Our last dinner as a family of three. We cheers to that!
I was induced that night slowly with cervadil, but nothing happened and Dakota hadn't made any progress coming out. The next day, the 17th, around noon- they induced me with Pitocin. After a slow start to labor, around 7 pm thinks 'kicked into gear,' and you started to come fast. Faster than the doctors anticipated. Up until this time, we were thinking you would be born on the 18th. But you had other plans, and came quickly into this world. From the moment we had you, all has been healthy with mom and baby. I have no symptoms any longer from the Cholestais, and my ribs are finally healing.

At 9:50 PM you were born, and arrived happily into the world weighing a whopping 7 lb 14 oz (far bigger than any ultrasound thought, and than they thought you would be for arriving early into the world.) You cried for a small moment, but not long. I will never forget how perfect you looked. You look just like a porcelain doll. Perfect coloring. Light hair and eyelashes. To my surprise, you have beautiful blonde hair and stunning blue eyes. You don't immediately look like your dad, perhaps a little more like Mom. Not a twin of Mackenna, but you can tell that you are sisters.
We chose the name Dakota because we think it is beautiful. Some time in the beginning of my pregnancy, Ben and I were sitting in the living room and the name Dakota popped into my head. I asked Ben if he liked it, and he said he loved it. We never wavered on the name or thought of other ideas after that. It was decided that if we had a girl, she would be named Dakota. The meaning of Dakota is 'friend' or 'ally,' and we knew that was the perfect name for a sister. We carried on the tradition of Mackenna's middle name, Ella, as she was named after my Great Grandmother. Helen is the middle name of Ben's Great Grandmother, who Judy told me she has many fond memories of.

Your big sister Mackenna has been amazing with you. There was never one moment of her being upset or confused about you being here. Being a big sister has come naturally to her. She calls you 'Baby Kota,' and likes to give you kisses. She worries when you cry, and checks on you in the morning when she runs into our room.


We are so glad you are here Dakota! Our family was happy before, but nothing compares to how complete we feel with you now in it. Although the transition from being parents of one to parents of two has its challenges, we are smiling through the chaos with you around.

Last maternity photo at home.
Checking in to the hospital on Thursday night.
Meeting you.
Proud Dad's first moments with you.
Such a little peanut.
 
Mackenna arrived with Nana, and the McGuires followed shortly behind.
First day as a dad to two daughters!
All of the Cuffey girls.
The Wescotts
Kara and Sean
Sara and Kyle
Grandma
We had a beautiful snow fall on your first full day on this earth. This is the view from our hospital window. With Mackenna we had a water view from the hospital window, and with you we had the train and city view.
Heading home on Sunday!
We love you Dakota, and are so blessed that you are part of our family. Being parents to two healthy, happy, beautiful little girls is the best life that Ben and I could ask for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment