Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Maine Maple Mustard Chicken

I go on 'cooking whims,' where I am inspired to create meals that I've never tasted and are completely out of my cooking comfort zone. I am on one of those whims this week. Last night I made the most delicious meal, and the main course was Maine Maple Mustard Chicken. The combination of the fresh thyme and sticky maple is perfect. We served it with cous cous and roasted broccoli. It is a must- try for anyone, and a perfect fall feast.



  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (we used boneless thighs instead)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar 
  • 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil; swirl to coat.  Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt.  Add chicken to pan; saute 2 minutes on each side or until browned.  Remove chicken from pan.  Add broth, syrup, thyme, and garlic to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.  Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add vinegar and mustard; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Return chicken to pan, and spoon mustard mixture over chicken.  Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.  Remove chicken from pan; let stand 5 minutes.  Place pan over medium heat; cook mustard mixture 2 minutes or until liquid is syrupy, stirring frequently.  Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.

1 comment: